716 Langdon St. Cornerstone laid June 20, 1893 – Opened in May, 1894
Romanesque Revival Conover & Porter
Madison Landmark National Register National
Historic Landmark Built by Timothy McCarthy of Madison
Designed with student gymnasium facilities, an assembly hall, and for military training.
In 1881 the university's President, John Bascom
began lobbying for a gymnasium that could be used for both military drill and gymnastic exercises.
Everything from university dances and banquets to organized viewings of away-football games were
held in the Armory's drill hall.
The drill hall was also frequently used for political events. A 1894 rally, featuring U.S.
President William McKinley, was its first political use. In 1904 the Armory was the site of the
controversial Wisconsin Republican Convention. At the convention Robert M. La Follette's
Progressive party won control of the Wisconsin Republican Party. The Progressive's victory
eventually lead to the enactment of substantial reforms throughout Wisconsin. The 1904
“Gymnasium Convention” holds national significance in the history of the Progressive Movement.
UW basketball teams played here from 1911 to 1930.
In 1970, during Vietnam War protests, the Gym was firebombed because it housed ROTC offices.
The incident brought attention to the building and brought support to save it. At the time
the University had plans to tear it down.
The previous gym was on Bascom Hill about where the
is now located. A wooden building it
burned in 1891.